"The Old Cartwright Home"
Part 5
In the middle of the night, Leonard
felt cold, so he rolled over to grab the blanket but couldn’t place
his hand upon it. He opened his eyes and the blanket wasn't on the
bed. He was sleepy and groggy so he left the bedside lamp off, but
still got up and looked around the bed for the blanket, finding it
wasn't there. He looked around the room until he saw that the tip was
laying on the floor jammed between the closet door and the door
frame. Leonard's heart started to beat faster, and he was tempted to
run from the room, the house, and leave it all alone, but he didn’t.
With each footstep, he left a gentle creak in the floor that emanated
the cool stale atmosphere of the room. He touched the door knob
gently, and slowly pulled it open. Before he had it half way open, he
quickly jerked it and flung it open. Suddenly, there was a flash of
figure with the blanket draped over it and a ghastly screech, then
the blanket dropped to floor lifeless and limp.
Leonard stumbled backwards, tripped
over the bed and fell to the floor. He got up and scrambled to grab
the shotgun in the living room corner. He began turning on the lights
as he returned to the bedroom, and then he cautiously entered. The
blanket lay in the closet floor and room felt normal once again. He
grabbed the blanket and threw it on the bed, then closed the closet
door. He left the room with the light on, and went into the living
room where he felt more secure. That night, Leonard watched the
clock, each tick of the seconds hand bringing him closer to morning.
Pastor Wilson was greeted on the front
porch by Leonard, who had been sitting there since daybreak.
“Hello, are you Leonard?”
“Yes, it's very nice to meet you
Pastor Wilson, how do you do.”
“I am fine, please tell me about the
apparition you keep seeing”
Leonard glanced at the ground and
kicked at the dirt as the short, bald, round man waited for a reply,
“Well, the thing comes out in the late evening and it circles the
house. It's not every night, but more sporadic. Last night it was in
my closet standing there under the blanket. It was there for a
moment, then it let out an awful screech and disappeared. This is
absolutely the most terrifying thing I have ever dealt with.”
“I'm sure it is. I can perform a
house blessing with holy water and that's about all I can do.”
The pastor went to his car and
retrieved a metal flask with a gold cross on the front. He went to
the front door and bowed his head, said a prayer and sprinkled the
water on the doorstep.
“Is it ok if I go in the house and
bless each of the rooms?”
“Yeah, perfectly fine.”
Pastor Wilson went inside and repeated
the same ceremony in each room. He had finished and walked back
outside to meet with Leonard.
“Hopefully that will work. I don't
have a lot of experience with supernatural phenomena. My advice would
be to leave the house immediately and forget about it all.”
Leonard disagreed with the pastor in
his head but didn’t say anything. “I bought this house and I
refuse to leave because of some old ghost. There's got to be a way.”
he thought to himself.
“Pastor Wilson, I appreciate what you
did and I sure hope it works.”
“Alright, you take care.” and with
that the pastor got back in his sedan and drove down the country
road.
Copyright 2018
IF you like this blog, please tell your friends about it. Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment