Monday, June 18, 2018

"The Old Cartwright Home" Part 4

"The Old Cartwright Home"
Part 4


The next morning Leonard remembered that Ruby had mentioned a Pastor Wilson. He decided this was a matter the pastor would be interested, in and looked him up in the phone book. There were dozens of small churches in the area and without his first name, he next to impossible to find. Leonard cranked up the truck and took off to Ruby's place.
The day was too short and it was evening by the time he got out of his truck and knocked on Ruby's door. He knocked more frantic and felt anxious, hoping Ruby would answer. The door rattled and Ruby appeared.
“Hello, Mr. James, how may I help you?”
“Hi Ruby, you had mentioned a Pastor Wilson several weeks ago when last spoke.”
“Yes indeed.”
“Would you have his phone number, or a way I could contact him immediately?”
Ruby glanced questionably at Leonard and replied, “Yes dear, one moment.”
She shut the door and was gone for quite a while, leaving Leonard to pick at the skin around his fingernails.
“She must have it stashed in mountains of junk that probably resides inside that house.” thought Leonard to himself.
Ruby eventually reappeared, and handed him a small scrap of paper that had the pastor's telephone number scribbled down.
“Thanks, and you have a good day.” said Leonard, as he was turning towards the pickup truck.
“Do you mind telling me why you need Pastor Wilson, and also why you seem in such a hurry?”
“Well, last night, I saw something in the yard.”
“What do you mean?”, further inquired Ruby.
Leonard cleared his throat, “I think there was a ghost out in yard yesterday evening.”
“Oh dear, well that explains the tired look on your face, and the worry in your eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were spirits at that house given all that has happened there.”
“Yeah, its got me a little worried.”
“Call Pastor Wilson, I think he has dealt with this kind of thing before, and a word to wise, you may want to leave the house as soon as possible.”
Leonard started moving toward his truck, “Yeah, we'll see, but thanks again for the phone number.”
Leonard got into the truck and quickly drove down the old bumpy driveway back to the main road. He sped back to the house, as it was late evening, and he wanted to see if Pastor Wilson could pay a visit tonight. Leonard ran into the house as soon as he got back and grabbed the phone, dialing the number as quickly as possible. It rang several times and Leonard was worried that the Pastor was not in.
Pastor Wilson was quietly eating dinner when the phone started to ring. He contemplated not answering it, but knew it could be one of the parishioners, so he did.
“Hello?”
The voice on the other end seemed rushed and nervous all at the same time.
“Hi, is this Pastor Wilson?”
“Yes it is, and with whom am I speaking too?”
“Yes sir, my name is Leonard James, and I got your number from Ruby May who said you may be able to help me.”
“Right, I know Ruby, what can I do for you?”
Leonard paused for moment, thinking to himself how insane all this was.
“I think there is some bad energy in my house that I need to get rid of.”
“I'm sorry, could you explain more to me.”
“Well, last night, I saw what I believe to be a ghost out in my back yard.”
Pastor Wilson laughed under his breath, and then said, “I see, sure I could help you out. Where do you live?”
“I live in the old Ella Cartwright home, just down the street from Ruby.”
“Oh dear, that changes everything. I won't be able to meet tonight, but let's meet tomorrow and we'll see what I can do.”
Leonard felt panicky, “Are you sure you can't come this evening?”
“I am terribly sorry, but I'm very tired and need to rest, but I will be there first thing in the morning.”
“Ok, see you in the morning.” said Leonard and he hung up the phone.
One could see the nervous and worried expression on Leonard's face, but what was not so easily detected, was the intense fear that had come over him as the sun was setting. He walked into the kitchen and looked out the window but saw nothing. He made a sandwich and looked out again before sitting down, but there still was no ghostly figure. He ate his sandwich and by the time he finished, which was not long, darkness quickly approached. He leaned up against the counter and stared into the back yard expecting the apparition to appear at any moment, but it never did. Leonard's worry was somewhat put at ease and he decided to go to bed early so tomorrow would come quickly.
Copyright 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment